Our Lady of the Rock, California City, CA

RM-OurLadyoftheRock7

“I think we passed the turnoff.”  As Andrew uttered these words, I realized how many times I had heard the statement during our year of driving 45,000 miles around the United States.  This time, however, Andrew and I were neither in a city nor a suburb.  We were deep in the heart of the Mojave desert, and we were, literally, lost.

We had driven 25 minutes north of Mojave, California, searching for a Catholic religious gathering in the middle of the desert.  The location we were hoping to find was called Our Lady of the Rock, where Mary is said to appear on the 13th of every month.  There is no local church connected to OLOTR, no directions online, and when we asked around town, virtually no one had heard of what we described.

After days of searching for directions, we finally struck a chord when getting the oil changed at Valvoline.  I just happened to ask an attendant if he had heard of the mysterious Catholic gathering in the middle of the desert, and by chance he had!  He and his friend had taken dirt bikes out to the site, where they discovered three crosses that stood in the middle of the desert.  All we had to do was go straight on this certain road, and then look for a water treatment plant.  What–water out in the middle of the Mojave desert!?  I was afraid we were doomed.

RM-OurLadyoftheRock2
A beacon in the desert for lost photographers.

Turning down a dirt road that eventually became deep pits of sand, Andrew and I knew we had gone the wrong way.  The Champe Champ, our newly-acquired Ford Focus station wagon, did not have the four-wheel power action that the Dodge Lodge once delivered.  It was 10:15 AM, and we were late, hot, and frustrated by being lost in a place that threatened a slow and painful death by dehydration or mutant lizards.

After turning around and continuing on what felt like the correct road, we found a remote ranger station. A gentleman appeared from behind a trailer and pointed us in the right direction.  “Oh yeah, Our Lady of the Rock.  Those Catholic people get together every month.  Just down the road another two miles, then turn left.  You can’t miss it.”  We were relieved to have found our way.  It was 10:30 AM, and we drove the Champe Champ like a bandit out of hell.

Surprisingly, the scene at OLOTR was more subdued than what we expected.  As we watched people setting up tents and a sound system, it was clear that we had made it in plenty of time.  Looking around, and noting the barren landscape and general proximity to nothing at all, I thought that we may have already experienced a small miracle in finding the location.  Back where the men were setting up the sound system, a small wooden structure marked the center of the gathering.  Attached to a white picket fence were dozens of colorful streamers that marked the enclosure.  Inside the structure sat a statue of the Virgin Mary, surrounded by flowers.  This was clearly the altar, or center of the service, where something–but what we did not know–would take place.

DSC_8673
Ross adroitly inserts himself front and center into the ceremony.

The origins of OLOTR date back to 1989, when Maria Paula, a mother of six children, was praying fervently for one of her daughters who had fallen ill to leukemia.  Maria Paula drove out to the desert, and was praying in a canyon.  At 5:00 one morning, Maria was suddenly enveloped by a white fog and she heard the sound of birds and smelled the sweet aroma of a garden.  A woman appeared within the cloud of white, with a rosary in her hands.

She said, “I am your Lady of the Rock, Queen of Peace of Southern California.  I come to bring you the peace and love that is so needed.  I will visit the homes, and I will form one family for the service of the Lord, Our God.  I will form an army, and we will work together.  I will bring my angel from faraway lands.  In him you will confide and tell all that I am indicating to you.  Go in the peace of God.”

DSC_8691
Maria Paula emerges with her entourage in some seriously hip shades.

To this day, Maria Paula returns to the desert on the 13th of every month to receive a message from the Virgin Mary.  Throngs of supporters and miracle-expectant spectators drive from hours away to take part in a rosary service and receive blessings from Maria Paula.  Over the years, Maria has gathered a following, but it’s hard to determine why OLOTR has turned into such a phenomenon.  Most gatherings attract 200-300 people, but when the 13th falls on a Saturday or Sunday,  2,000-3,000 people descend upon that barren spot in the middle of the desert.  Apart from the general public, Maria’s following includes several other women who travel with her to OLOTR.  Like Maria Paula, they are dressed like nuns. However, it’s not certain that the women, or Maria, are actual Catholic nuns.  Due to the official response from the Catholic church, it’s very likely that they are not.

The Associated Press reports, “Catholic authorities have officially suggested there is no Mary at Our Lady of the Rock. After more than a year of investigating, they found it to be due to somebody’s imagination, not anyone’s bad will. The diocese in Fresno, which has immediate authority over California City, has concurred with Los Angeles officials, but has placed no restrictions on people gathering at the site.”

DSC_8719
Most folks are there to pray but hardly anyone (including the boy on the left) can resist a snapshot of the sun when the moment calls.

Despite the position of the Catholic authorities, thousands of faithful believers return each month seeking blessings and healings from Maria Paula.  People also flock to OLOTR hoping to see their own vision of the Virgin Mary.   The format of this has taken an interesting form.  Instead of looking for the Virgin Mary with their own eyes, these religious spectators come with polaroid and digital cameras, snapping away at the sun in hopes of seeing Her appear in their photo.  It’s unclear how this phenomenon was started, but someone must have taken a picture of the sun at some point, spotted the Virgin Mary in their photo, and showed it off to everyone at the event.  Now it seems to be the norm.

Behind the main structure, under a large tailgate-style tent, we met a family who had traveled three hours to come to OLOTR. The parents had first come to OLOTR before anyone knew about it and they spoke of their first sighting of the Virgin Mary.  Two storm clouds blew in from opposite directions and when they converged, the clouds split, a bright light appeared, and the Virgin was standing within the clouds.  They said everyone there saw it.  Even little kids were pointing up in the air and saying, “Look, the Virgin Mary!”

The parents now return with their son and daughter-in-law almost every month.   The entire family comes to witness potential miracles and wait for visions of the Virgin Mary.  They were eager to talk about their experiences and the holiness of the site.

RM-OurLadyoftheRock3
An OLOTR faithful holds up a print of a photograph where clouds resemble St. Francis and a dove at his fingertips.

But this family was not the only one claiming miracles at OLOTR.  Even the construction workers, who were building a grotto on the site, were converted believers.  They told us about the first time they visited the site with Maria Paula to spec the job.  As they were approaching the site of the grotto, Maria Paula stopped, knelt down on the ground with her other sisters, and looked up at the sky.  The two men followed her gaze, and saw streams of gold light descending upon the head of Maria Paula.  They claimed it was a miracle, and since then, other kinds of miraculous things have happened on the job site.  When the two men told us their stories, their eyes were wide with wonder, and they could hardly hold back their smiles.  Truly, these men had witnessed something miraculous.

Andrew and I heard a great number of stories that day.  From healings to prophecies to sightings of the Virgin Mary.  But our experience that day was rather un-miraculous–if that’s a word.  We witnessed the rosary service, the procession of a statue of Christ, the blessings by Maria Paula, and people taking pictures of the sun.  But the only thing out of the ordinary was one woman who broke out in loud cries during the service, and had to be taken to the back of the group.  She might have been overcome by the Holy Spirit, but she may also have been struggling with some serious issues.  Or possibly, she was overcome by the heat.  We were, remember, in the middle of the Mojave desert, at midday.

DSC_8710
Andrew gave his best shot at finding the Virgin Mary with his Nikon. We don’t see her…do you?

The AFP certainly isn’t trying to disprove OLOTR.  But as journalists, we report what we see.  And for someone who has grown up in church, the events we witnessed that day were not foreign, or even bizarre.  Had we hoped to see more excitement, more drama, and more people?  Yes, certainly.  We wished we could have come back the following month to see the crowds and a potential sighting, but the AFP had more miles to cover.  We encourage you to make the journey out there and witness it yourself.  If you do decide to go, we can help you with the directions.

Our Lady of the Rock from American Festivals Project on Vimeo.

Posted by Ross, posted on 10/19/2009 at 9:21pm. Bookmark this post.

46 Comments

1. Posted 10/26/2009 at 3:16pm

Katrina B.:

I love the whole idea of this one.

2. Posted 11/20/2009 at 7:27pm

marya:

Hi, I have been looking into this event and your website was very helpful. I would love the directions to the site as I am hoping to visit it sometime in the future. Thanks for your time.

3. Posted 12/05/2009 at 10:39pm

Alex:

It is a great event where many miracles do take place. You must have faith in order to experience a miracle. Come experience this for yourself, bring an open mind and truly pray and ask for what you need, and you will be surprised. Thanks for exposing this to the rest of the world.

4. Posted 12/05/2009 at 10:42pm

Rosalva:

In this day and age in the world where expectations hopes and dreams are crushed by the days news, a glimor of hope and resolve is found in the mohave dessert.

5. Posted 12/07/2009 at 12:31am

Maria Del Rosario Luna:

If you come to this place you will experience miraculous blessings, and maybe you will be blessed with the sighting of our Blessed Mother, Just come with alot of faith. Pray the Rosary daily, have faith and you will see the glory of God.

6. Posted 02/08/2010 at 11:42pm

Greg Rossi:

Hello. I live near California City and am interesting in Our Lady of the
    Rock. However, the quotes from the apparitions seem rather strange. At one
    point she asks us to consecrate everyone in the world to her, including
    non-believers. Which is fine, but then she says “They Praise you, they
    Glorify you” (or something just like that. I don’t have that part of the
    apparition with me now). Also, I read the following on the interet: “I
    will visit the homes, and I will form one family for the service of the
    Lord, Our God. I will form an army, and we will work together. I will
    bring my angel from faraway lands. In him you will confide and tell all
    that I am indicating to you.”
    I’ve read other approved apparitions before, yet this sounds very
    colloquel. And why tell an angel what Mary is telling her?? I would be SO
    happy if it was true; my life is very difficult right now and knowing
    their is a visionary near who I can go pray with would be a light in the
    darkness for me. I am afraid of getting into something that’s a fraud or
    demonic however.
    PLEASE pray for me

7. Posted 06/12/2010 at 4:19pm

Cristina:

address how to get there

8. Posted 08/07/2010 at 9:49pm

Norma Gomez:

Can you please e-mail me directions on how to get to OLOTR, Ive been wanting to go for a while now, Thank you.

9. Posted 09/14/2010 at 5:31pm

GREGORY:

PLEASE SEND US THE DIRECTIONS – THANK YOU

10. Posted 10/17/2010 at 4:26pm

Marilu:

Would like directions how to get their, coming from Riverside Ca. Would greatly appreciation it and God Bless.

11. Posted 11/12/2010 at 2:42am

Brenda:

I would love the directions to the site . Thanks for your time.

12. Posted 11/17/2010 at 5:59pm

Justice:

Take the 14 freeway North Palmdale/Lancaster. Get off on California City Blvd. You will take that a long way until you reach (Mojave Rd/Randsburg). Make a left. It is a little confusing because it becomes a dirt rd. Take the 20 Multe Team rd next to it instead and make a left on Lincoln. You will see a little sign on a pole there. Once you get to Eileen/Driss you will see the white domed chapel.
    REMEMBER BE THERE BEFORE 10 AM!

13. Posted 11/30/2010 at 10:28pm

primrose Ong- Veloso:

I Am A christian , but i can not be convinced easily by apparitions because the devil coul also appear as an angel of light. but being hesitant to go to california city cuz its far & cant be reached easily, iwent wd friends who drove us there ! And also my aunt Dolores who went there saw the Virgin Mary WD stars around her head and roses in her feet, also convinced me to go. But in her case , its puzzling cuz only my aunt saw the Virgin Mary & the 3 members of her family, who are standing wd her cant see the Virgin Mary! So I went cuz i have something to ask for a healing of a far off niece. To my surprise first miracle was sweet smell of roses in the middle of the dessert ! Impossible! 2nd miracle , an italian lady approached us & gave us a statue of the Virgin Mary ed 3 roses on her upper chest. She said she was compelled to give to us! to me these are signs that my petition will be answered, but the 3rd miracle was my mom and me saw the Virgin Mary against a bluish sky dressed in white with a half moon below her. I asked my mom if she saw what i saw & she describe it exactly. There were small mexican children who saw her first along wd their moms. They pointed in the sky and said, Mama Maria, & thats the time my mom & me saw the Virgin Mary! I couldnt understand why tears swelled from my eyes easily.Its a spiritual joy. It melts your heart! The spirituals are beyond description! I was so thankful to the good LOrd to show me His mother, me a sinner. I guess i hada humble heart when i asked for help.4th miracle,my petition was given & its stil working miracle in the life of those persons!Its a mystery. Lord ways are mysterious.Praise the Holy Trinity.Thanks for the holy family of our Lord Jesus who took good care of Him here on earth, ST. Joseph & the Virgin Mary, I know now that they have an important place in the kingdom of the Lord, and they can help us to bring near to the LOrd , our petitions! What a wonderful and gracious Lord, our creator and father ! my phone (323) 335 0870, if u need more information. Lord bless us all !

14. Posted 11/30/2010 at 10:37pm

primrose Ong- Veloso:

I Am A christian , but i can not be convinced easily by apparitions because the devil could also appear as an angel of light. but being hesitant to go to california city cuz its far & cant be reached easily, iwent wd friends who drove us there ! And also my aunt Dolores who went there saw the Virgin Mary wd stars around her head and roses in her feet, also convinced me to go. But in her case , its puzzling cuz only my aunt saw the Virgin Mary & the 3 members of her family, who were standing wd her cant see the Virgin Mary! So I went cuz i have something to ask for a healing of a far off niece. To my surprise first miracle was sweet smell of roses in the middle of the dessert ! Impossible! 2nd miracle , an italian lady approached us & gave us a statue of the Virgin Mary wd 3 roses on her upper chest. She said she was compelled to give the statue to us! To me, these are signs that my petition will be answered, but the 3rd miracle was my mom and me saw the Virgin Mary against a bluish sky, dressed in white with a half moon below her. I asked my mom if she saw what i saw & she describe it exactly. There were small mexican children who saw her first along wd their moms. They pointed in the sky and said, Mama Maria, & thats the time my mom & me saw the Virgin Mary! I couldnt understand why tears swelled from my eyes easily.Its a spiritual joy. It melts your heart! The spirituals are beyond description! I was so thankful to the good LOrd to show me His mother, me a sinner. I guess i had a humble heart when i asked for help.4th miracle,my petition was given & its stil working miracle in the life of those persons!Its a mystery. Lord ways are mysterious.Praise the Holy Trinity.Thanks for the holy family of our Lord Jesus who took good care of Him here on earth, ST. Joseph & the Virgin Mary, I know now that they have an important place in the kingdom of the Lord, and they can help us to bring near to the LOrd , our petitions! What a wonderful and gracious Lord, our creator and father ! my phone (323) 335 0870, if u need more information. Lord bless us all ! that week Kern County newspaper wrote about the apparition ! So, lots of people reported that they saw the Virgin Mary that week !

15. Posted 11/30/2010 at 10:40pm

primrose Ong- Veloso:

Sorry i had to repeat my testimony because i had to correct my grammar, and add more little info. Primrose

16. Posted 11/30/2010 at 11:12pm

primrose Ong- Veloso:

I really feel in my spirit that the Virgin Mary that my mom, me and others esp. the mexican children & their moms many years ago around July, 1994. is the same as in the Lady of Fatima cuz she was dressed, in white just like the Virgin Mary in Fatima. I want to visit the mojave dessert again on the 13th of the month, but we dont have a ride. We are on our sixties now and dont drive in the freeway. Anybody kind enough to give a ride ? We will pay the gas. my phone no. 323-335-0870. Thanks. Primrose

17. Posted 03/02/2011 at 2:12pm

SYLVIA:

please email the direction to the lady of rock. in mojave derest.

18. Posted 03/02/2011 at 2:47pm

The AFP:

**HERE ARE DIRECTIONS**

It’s a little complicated, but hopefully these directions will make sense or get you close. Basically, from California City, head out 20 Mule Team Pkwy, going East (google map it). Continue on that about 2-3 miles, until you see a sign on the left on a telephone pole for Our Lady of the Rock. The sign is pretty clear so just keep going until you see it. At the sign, turn left. Continue down that dirt road for probably .5 miles. You’ll see people gathered. We stopped and asked for directions along 20 Mule Team Pkwy and a guy was able to help us out. I think you will not have any trouble finding it.

The AFP

19. Posted 05/05/2011 at 10:53pm

mayra:

CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME THE ADDRESS TO WHERE OUR LADY APPEARCE PLEASE.I WANT TO GO SEE HER.THANK YOU

20. Posted 05/09/2011 at 12:35am

maria:

please e-mail me directions coming from ontario ca i want to take my dad he is seriously ill with terminal cancer i really wish for a miracle i dont want my dad to passaway thank you

21. Posted 06/06/2011 at 7:08pm

JENNIFER LAMEIRO:

I live in Las Vegas,and would like to go see Our Lady of the Rock next month,can somebody place e-mail directions on how to get there from Las Vegas.
    Thank you.

22. Posted 06/09/2011 at 1:26pm

blanca:

I believed i love our lady she is our mom for ever
    I am her slave i give my life many years ago and i am so happy complety happy livinng whit her and jesus i love u and u my dear brothers and sister and remember we have to be marianos so we can be christianos because our mother mary bring us to jesus christ and no body outs bless u & u
    los quiero mucho hermanos marianos nuestra querida madre maria nos a unido y acuerdense que para ser cristianos tenemos que ser marianos primeros y ella nos lleva a jesus cristo yo soy la esclava de maria nuestra preciosa y santa madre ave ave ave maria amen amen amen

23. Posted 07/16/2011 at 3:25pm

Gloria:

Does anyone know of any pilgramage busses that go there? I live in Chicago and desperatly want to go there.

24. Posted 08/12/2011 at 11:36pm

cesar:

I been there along time ago and I wanted to take my mom last month but lost the address and don’t remember how to get there, can u help me

25. Posted 01/04/2012 at 6:16pm

nona miranda:

Please give me directions from Chino, CA 91710, thanks.

26. Posted 04/10/2012 at 2:56pm

Lisa:

I would to visit there and I need a direction to get there from Orange County or I also live in Phoenix Arizona so please help to get there..

27. Posted 04/10/2012 at 9:24pm

Cecilia Garcia:

Can you please give me the time for the rosary and Is it 13th of every month?

28. Posted 05/04/2012 at 12:06pm

ramona morales:

send me directions how to get to our lady mojave

29. Posted 10/15/2012 at 3:24am

liz:

It was very nice going and very touching and its can of dificult to get their but its worth it just look up for the the main streets and will find ur way their its in California City,CA
    The exit for the freeway is California City Blvd u keep going intill u get to Randsburg Mojave Rd. You keep on going intill it turns into Twenty Mule Team Pkwy keep going intilll u find Lincoln Blvd you turn left its small street and its a dirt road so u need to pay attenchen after that ones u get to Eileen Blvd you turn right and ones you are on Eileen Blvd you are going to see it in your left hand side

30. Posted 10/27/2012 at 11:45pm

yen:

I came back to the Catholic church for over ten years already, after I witnessed a miracle which I saw at this place. Thank you, Mother Mary for bringing me back to Jesus,forever I’m grateful to you. I went to the Mojave Desert as a atheist and came back believing in God’s existing 100% true. Ever since then I fell in love with God and can not stop thinking about him.

31. Posted 10/28/2012 at 2:13pm

yen:

People told me what I saw in the Mojave desert was from the devil. I told them, that why would the devil wanted to bring me back to God. Trust me, the devil forever wants us to separate from God. Only our heavenly Mother wants to gather her children back to God and she will not rest until the end of the world. She is very determine.

32. Posted 01/08/2013 at 9:41pm

Christopher Allen:

Two things about Our Lady of the Rock:

1. It isn’t an approved apparition. The Bishop of Fresno at the time conducted the required investigation and determined that nothing supernatural was going on.

2. Maria Paula and her followers are not members of any recognized religious order. Our previous pastor tried to help them get started toward recognition, without success. (Full disclosure: I’m personally acquainted with Maria Paula as she and her ladies were off-again-on-again members of my church choir.)

33. Posted 01/25/2013 at 5:00pm

mayra:

Adress. To get there to see the lady of the rock. Form. San fernando. City. California. Thanks

34. Posted 03/19/2013 at 5:22pm

sylvia:

Please can someone email the address to the virginmarychapelat mojovie dessert as we r goingonthe 13,th ofmay.direction from los Angeles downtown. Thank you.

35. Posted 03/26/2013 at 2:28am

hedit:

This is true. It’s real I did not see Mary But I Did See The Roses And Got The Smell Of them they were yellow bluish/greenish and red roses I saw way up high in the sky and the smell came to me down to the ground i was only a child when i went and i remember like it was just yesterday. All you need is faith and you’ll possibly see something!

36. Posted 05/30/2013 at 2:04pm

Stanislaus:

I used to live in Cal City, very few of the residents go to the apparitions however almost all of them have seen miraculous signs, a common one being rainbows in the sky when there is not a cloud in the sky (something my formerly God hating sister also saw with me at the apparition site)They will also tell you they can feel the peace on passing the “now entering Cal City” signs. Being careful of not looking foolish, they almost never attribute it to anything. My sister has since her visit consecrated her family at the basilica of Our Lady of Guadelupe in Mexico City to Our Lady,she lives over 5,000 miles away. Other friends have received other graces there, one who is studying in Rome for the priesthood was given the grace to see his sins quite well, One who lived for years at an apparition site near the east coast which used to be attended by tens of thousands of people said Cal City is much stronger spiritually and now lives in the area, etc. I was given messages about me that it would be impossible for Maria Paula to know. One of the first messages started with a criticism by name of the members of her group by Jesus, extremely unlikely for either Satan or her if she was making it up. From the southeast or east take hwy 58, turn right at the California City “exit”, go straight for about 17 miles(there is a stop sign at about 10 miles and the pavement curves to the right after the last buildings about a half mile down) and turn left onto the dirt road at Lincoln Rd, go straight till you see the cross, etc. on the right.

37. Posted 06/01/2013 at 9:39am

Stanislaus:

The road curves to the right about a half mile further down the road from the stop sign that is about ten miles from the Cal City “exit”. Coming from the west you would obviously make a left turn at the California “exit” on hwy 58, which is probably the easiest way to find the public apparition site. Maria Paula has daily apparitions. There is always a publicly announced message. As an example, Our Lady on 9|13|2006 said “If you are married, stay married, if you are not, stay as you are. This message is for those who are here and for those who are not able to be here.” Also the criticism by Jesus was actually a reprimand.

38. Posted 10/12/2013 at 12:40pm

Ileana:

I need directions to get to Mojave to see the Lady of the Rocks. Please someone respond!!! I live near the san fernando area.

39. Posted 10/17/2013 at 8:57pm

peter popoff free miracle spring water:

Hi there to every one, for the reason that I am truly eager of reading
    this web site’s post to be updated on a regular
    basis. It carries pleasant stuff.

40. Posted 12/02/2013 at 12:51pm

Jose Palma:

Do you have a contact phone number for sister Paula
    or the care takers, I plan to go back soon and I want to
    make sure someone is there. I am planing in going on another day than the 13 of December
    Thanks

41. Posted 03/02/2014 at 6:04pm

RUBEN ALVAREZ:

I have been there 3 times and Im a firm believer that if you havr faith you will live to be there.

42. Posted 03/20/2014 at 3:49pm

Angela:

Can you visit our lady of the Rock any day? Or does it have to be only on the 13th?

43. Posted 04/05/2014 at 12:07am

rena soddy:

I was there years ago and saw the miracle of the sun and many other miraculous signs. The hot desert cooled remarkably when the Blessed Mother appeared with shade one time. Too many heavenly signs to list. I would love to take other family members back with me to see what I have seen. Could anyone tell me if our Dear Blessed Mother is still appearing to Maria Paula in the Mojave desert? The date today is April, 2014.

44. Posted 05/12/2014 at 4:57pm

olga:

dese la direccion desde Las Vegas Para ir al descierto de mojave..para la ver la virgen de las rocas gracias

45. Posted 07/05/2014 at 7:57pm

Joey:

I see a lot of interesting content on your page.
    You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work,
    there is a tool that creates unique, SEO friendly posts in couple of minutes, just search in google – laranita’s free content source

46. Posted 07/11/2014 at 11:45pm